Thursday, May 14, 2020

Character design is a lot like speed dating...



OK... so we are a few months into in this pandemic thing. My day job is ed tech so I've been pretty busy helping flip our school to online learning. Work has been crazy busy. 

To find calm in the chaos, I picked illustrating back up and have been digging into character design. My goal is to one day get one of these little darlings in a book. 

My daughter and I love inventing goofy characters together. A hippo with watermelon feet is one I am currently puzzling through. 

This evening's epiphany....character design is a lot like speed dating. 
I have a few ideas for books. My brain is all over the place and I'm finding it hard to narrow down an idea for a character to polish up. It is going to be hard to pick just one. 

Jolting & humbling revelation that I can forget how to draw stuff if I don't keep up practicing. I used to bang out characters like crazy... realizing now I need to relearn how to draw hands, bodies, etc. So rusty! It's like trying to do a cartwheel when you haven't had a gym class in 30 years.  

So jumped into taking a class on character design and am enjoying it. A good push to get back into the daily drawing habit. 

Focus this week is picking a character to polish up and really hammering out a lot of hands and body sketches this week. 

I kinda miss painting flowers... they don't have hands. 


No comments: